Terry & Debbie welcomes you to ‘The Fox Pub Belvedere’
‘The Fox Pub’ in Belvedere was built in 1824 & was originally owned by the ‘Stapley’ family & had stables where the garden is today. In 1921 it underwent a refurbishment changing the front to how it looks today. It has been serving the local community with traditional beers, ales, lagers, ciders, spirit & soft drinks, with a number of landlords through its years, with Terry & Debbie taking over since 2001. Through their time running ‘The Fox Pub’, there has been some changes, all resulting in it becoming a great example to the village of Belvedere.
Nowadays ‘The Fox Pub’ is an essential part of the village, with a number of regulars & an ever increasing amount of new customers. Entertainment comes in the way of ‘live music’ & disco’s (Friday & Saturday), live SKY & BTSport TV showing all the main football, rugby, cricket, boxing & golf events / games. It also has its own darts teams playing on various nights all year round, plus its very own ‘Poker’ nights. The garden has it very own children’s playground, as well as a selection of tables / benches, plus a TV screen.
Card Payment Option now available
OPENING HOURS – Sunday’s to Fridays (12.00 – 23.00) / Saturdays (11.00 – 23.30)
TELEPHONE: 01322 435557
We look forward to seeing you soon.
If you want to learn more about the initial history of the ‘The Fox Pub’,Click here to Read More
The Fox Pub Belvedere. This tavern known by the name and sign of the Fox was built in the 4th year of George IV, in 1824. Though the original structure of the building has, at different intervals of time, undergone alterations, particularly during the latter years of Victoria.
When first built the property was a wheeling house with stables and a parcel of land. It was owned by a prominent farmer and wheelwright who it would appear conducted this latter from the property. The family of Stapley had been and were for many years to follow prominent farmers of Belvedere parish.
Mathew Stapley resided here with his wife Rebecca and nine children and throughout his time here is recorded as a wheelwright and Rebecca Stapley, a harness maker. However in 1831, he obtained a beer house licence under the terms of the 1830 beer act which enabled any householder of reputable character to obtain a licence to sell beer from a house or tenement of rateable value, by merely paying the small sum of two guineas to the excise, thereby avoiding the necessity of applying or being presented to Magistrates, who had no control over these beer houses and frowned upon the act, for many of them chose their own of trading, whereby some were open all night long.
And so in November 1831, Mathew Stapley having obtained his excise licence, opened the door of his house to the beer buying public for the first time. He called the house the “Fox Beer House”, and he gained the title of wheelwright and beer retailer. Prior to this the Stapley’s had owned a beer house nearby in Bexley Road, which was run by Nathaniel Stapley, brother of Mathew, which they sold in 1830. The “Fox Beer House” continued to thrive, as did Mathew Stapley’s wheelwrights shop, which he continued to operate as well as run the house.
In 1849, Stapley applied for and was granted a wine and spirits licence by Magistrates, who were eager to encourage holders of beer house licences to accept full licences so they that could gain control over them. The “Fox” became a registered tavern. Mathew Stapley kept it until his death in 1850, where after it passed, by the terms of his will to his eldest son Jesse, a farmer of Belvedere. By this date the stables belonging to the property had been enlarged to accommodate between ten and fifteen horses, for during his time here, Jesse Stapley advertised then as hait (feeding) stables, and himself as a tavern and livery keeper.
Jesse Stapley kept the “Fox” until his death in 1867, where after his widow Charlotte Elizabeth inherited the house. By this date the farming family of Stapley had obtained more land and merged with Josias Hood, to become “Stapley and Hood”, farmers of Belvedere. Charlotte Stapley kept the “Fox” and sold groceries from it as well ales and liquors, until 1888. For many years ales had been supplied by the Barclay, Perkins & Co. London stout and porter Brewery, through agent William Seabrook a wine merchant of Belvedere. In that year of 1888, Charlotte Stapley sold the “Fox’ to the brewery and they installed one Samson Roberts into the house as a tenant.
The address of the “Fox” at this date was still Bexley Road, by 1894 when Samson Roberts handed over to William Ely, it changed to Bedonwell Hill. Ely kept the “Fox” until 1898, when he handed over to George Cade and he in 1907 to Alfred Charles Miller. At the outbreak of World War 1 he was conscripted and replaced here by Herbert Breeching, who was here for the duration of the war until 1921, when he was succeeded by Arthur Hearn and he in 1929 by Walter Webb, who remained for many years to follow.
Barclay Perkins eventually sold out to the Courage Brewery who are the present owners of the “Fox” which since 1967.